I really wanted to make this for Helen and Jenny's Great Bloggers Bake Off, but I completely ran out of time. Please forgive the lack of photography too, as I only had my iPad to rely on, but the recipe is so simple and delicious that it speaks for itself - that said, I will add some proper photos later on.
The recipe is from my lovely Mother-in-law as she gave it to me quite a few years ago now - although I've also managed to lose it a few times too.
6 heaped tbsp self raising flour
3oz (85g) suet
2 tbsp mixed fruit (I used sultanas)
1 tbsp sugar
You can soak the fruit in boiling water for a few minutes, if you want a softer texture to the fruit. Drain and dry before adding to mixture.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and add cold water until the mixture just drops off a spoon.
- Flour a white cloth (I used a good quality tea towel) and place the pudding in the centre.
- Draw up the cloth and fasten with string.
- Place in a pan of boiling water and boil steadily for approx. 1 and a half hours.
- Add more water to top up if you need too.
- Slice and serve immediately with custard.
That's my homemade week - what have you been making?
I'd love for you to link up your posts! I only have 1 rule - that you grab my badge or link back to me in your post :)
What's Homemade Thursday about?
You can read more about it here. If you have created anything this week - whether it's baking, needlework, knitting, painting, photography, scrapbooking, cardmaking, cooking from scratch - ANYTHING that made you use your creativity and you want to share with others....please share it during my weekly link up. I would love to see it!
If you sell your creations, feel free to link to your shop as well!
I will post every Thursday and you can link your blog post, webpage or twitpic on Twitter.
Please use #HomemadeThursday on Twitter and I will retweet them :)