Tuesday, 12 February 2013

Guest Post: Gluten Free Valentines Biscuits


Today, I am delighted to introduce you to Food & Craft Blogger, Lada Fleischman who blogs at uglyweather.co.uk. Lada has written a low carb and gluten free recipe book called Christmas Baking with a Twist and she has kindly adapted one of her fantastic recipes especially for you for Valentines Day.

Every year on Valentine’s Day, I buy lovely chocolates for my adorable husband. This year I thought I would be little bit more creative and try to make them instead. And while making it, I thought I should create something tasty, but just a little healthier. As gluten free baking is really taking off in the UK, I have been experimenting with almond and coconut flours. I have even written a recipe book and while at it, I substituted sugar for honey. I must admit, getting started was hard, it almost felt like changing my favourite daily cream for a completely new type or taking a new road to work instead of my usual one. But as soon as I got used to different properties and behaviour of the flours, I start liking them more and more. And besides they taste lovely! 


For this Valentine, I updated one of my recipes and baked heart shaped biscuits sprinkled them with white chocolate and vanilla. They were yummy and when baking, the whole house smelled irresistible! Sadly, we ate them on the same day, so I will most likely be baking another batch. Below is the recipe, try them, and if you feel like it, modify they to your liking. And don't forget to taste as you go along. It is important that you like the dough when you make it, because it give a good indication of what your final biscuit will taste like. So if you have sweet teeth, add little bit more honey. If you would like to add some other nuts or seeds, do it. 

Baking is like a blank canvas where you are the master! 

How to make an easy heart shaped biscuits:

2 cup of almond flour 

½ cup of chopped hazelnuts (shredded in mixer) 

2 tablespoons of melted butter 

2-3 tablespoon of honey 

1 egg 

White chocolate to decorate (about 1/3 of standard bar chocolate) 

1/2 of vanilla pod 



Method 
  • Preheat the oven to 160oC, 320oF 
  • Mix honey, egg and butter together (use hand mixer, your butter and honey do not need to be melted) 
  • Add almond flour and hazelnuts to the mixture and mix well, the mix should be hard to mix and not runny.
  • Prepare a length of the baking paper (double the length of your baking tray) on your kitchen top and place the dough to one side of the paper and then fold the paper back over itself, so that you now have the dough sandwiched between two pieces of baking paper, now you can start rolling the dough, through the paper, without it sticking to the surface or the rolling pin. 
  • Roll the dough until about 4-5mm thick, cut off ½ of the baking paper and place into baking tray, press the biscuits shapes into dough (the shapes would be too fragile to transfer cut out on they own and could break) 
  • Bake for about 15-20 min (depending on thickness of your dough), until golden brown 
  • Take off the baking tray and paper as soon as baked, let cool and sprinkle with white chocolate.

For the white chocolate decoration: 
  • Melt the chocolate (either in microwave for few seconds, or in water bath) 
  • Cut one site of vanilla pod open and empty the seeds in your melted white chocolate, mix well and while the chocolate still hot, sprinkle over your biscuits



If you liked my recipe, you can find more on my blog: uglyweather.co.uk (I have also published a book Christmas baking with a twist by Lada Fleischman on Amazon). I blog about crafts, baking and what to do when the weather is just ugly.

Thank you so much, Lada! I have bought a Kindle copy of Lada's book and have it on my iPhone - I can't wait  try out some of the recipes! (Mmmm, banana bread!) 

If you'd like to buy a copy yourself you can find it here.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...