Thursday, 31 January 2013

Time to shift the baby weight!


I have felt a little detached from the blog in recent months (apologies for that; I'm sure the writing juices will start flowing again) I think some of it is because I'm a bit bleugh about real life too. I have an amazing family that keep me very busy (and happy) but I have been feeling quite down about myself - I'm currently the heaviest I have ever been and I hate it.

It doesn't suit me at all and I'm in that annoying predicament where all my maternity clothes fall around my ankles and my pre-pregnancy clothes...well, I can't even get most of my jeans over my knees!!! I'm a great believer in that old cliché, 'If something makes you unhappy, do something about it'. So I have.

I have signed up to Slimming World Online. I took advantage of their recent special offer and went for it. (I paid £64.99 for 3 months on Silver) It does include a subscription to the magazine as well, which I usually buy anyway; so that's a bonus) This is my first week, and already I'm learning about food optimising, and wondering why I wasn't eating this way all the time! I chose Slimming World because I have so many friends who swear by it, I have seen that they have done incredibly well, and not just short term, either. 

I also chose Slimming World because nothing is off-limits; a 'syn' perhaps, but it's still allowed. Maybe it's the control freak in me, but I cannot stick to a 'diet' where I'm told, you can't have cake or chocolate, or wine (!!!) For someone who LOVES their food, I would see this as a truly miserable existence, so here I am! Just 4 days in though, and I am sat in complete shock when I look through the 'Syns' list. NO WONDER I put on weight; it's not so much how much I am eating, it's the hidden fat/calories in things that's deadly. 23 syns for my usual in Starbucks... Oh my GOD!!! OK, so a white chocolate mocha with whip isn't exactly 'hidden' but you get what I mean - It's made me understand more about what I'm eating, and realising that I CAN still have these things, but moderation is definitely, definitely the key. 

Perhaps now should be a good time to confess that I have 6 bottles of Chardonnay fermenting on the top of my bookcase - How many syns in that?!! 

Other things I have learnt this week:

  • Healthy food can be amazing!
  • Asparagus makes your wee smell funny. Seriously dudes - as much as I love the stuff... NEVER again! ;P
  • Grilled tomatoes are not pleasant to step on in bare feet.
  • My children like 'homemade' onion gravy; who knew!
  • Quorn sausages are really nice.
  • You can freeze fresh sage (I do love saving a few pennies ;))
So there you go, wish me luck! I weigh in on Sunday - Eeeep!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...